Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Name recorded on Board of Trade Memorial: L. J. L. Jaques
Born: About July 1896 in Doncaster, Yorkshire
Date of Death: 23 November 1917
Age at death: 21
Service, Regiment, Corps, etc: East Yorkshire Regiment
Unit, Ship, etc: 11th Battalion
Enlisted: Hull
Rank: Lance Sergeant (Service no: 22482)
Decorations: WW1 Campaign medals (Victory Medal and British War Medal )
War (and theatre): WW1
Manner of Death: Killed in Action (KIA)
Family Details: Son of George and Jane L Jaques of 206 Harehills Avenue, Leeds
Home Department: Board of Trade – Mercantile Marine Office Staff
Civilian Rank: Assistant Clerk
Cemetery or Memorial: Roclincourt Military Cemetery (III.E.17) ; Board of Trade War Memorial (now located at 3 Whitehall Place, London);

Biography:

Leonard Jesse Livesey Jaques was born in Doncaster in about July 1896. His parents were George Jaques (1863 – 1930) and Jane Livesey Jaques (1859 – 1940). He had a sister – Bertha Livesey Jaques (1891 – 1971) and an older brother – George Arthur Livesey Jaques (1894 – 1961). Leonard’s father was a pharmacist and grocer.

In both the 1901 and 1911 censuses, the family lived at 28 Cartwright Street in Doncaster. The street can be found on maps dating back to the 1820s but was demolished after a compulsory purchase order to create the Golden Acres shopping precinct. The street was originally names after Edmund Cartwright, who invented the power loom.

After his schooling, Leonard joined the Board of Trade before WW1, working as an assistant clerk for the Mercantile Marine Office in Hull.

On the outbreak of the war he was living at 95 Westminster Avenue, Holderness Road, Hull. We also know from his surviving WW1 Service record that he was 5 ft 5 and half inches tall and weighed 106 pounds

He attested aged only 19 years and 180 days old at Hull City Hall on 7 December 1915 before the passing of the dreaded Conscription Law. He joined the 11th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment (Hull Tradesmen) which had formed in Hull on 2 September 1914 by Lord Nunburnholme and the the East Riding TF Association. The 11th battalion was one of four Hull Pals battalions. The Pals battalions were a phenomenon of WW1 with thousands of men enlisting to serve alongside their friends, colleagues and relatives in a wave of patriotic fervour. The Pals battalions were particularly associated with towns in north of Britain such as Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Hull.

According to Leonard’s military medal card he arrived in France on 22 December 1916 and was promoted to Corporal after Oppy Wood, then to Sergeant, proving to be a capable soldier.

Oppy Wood by John Nash (Copyright: Imperial War Museum)

Oppy Wood, was a formidable defensive system of trenches, dugouts and thick barbed wire defences that has been in German hands since 2014. The British tried to take Oppy several times in a number of unsuccessful attacks. The Battle for Oppy Wood (also known as the Third Battle of the Scarpe), which was part of the Battle of Arras was a major battle for the East Yorkshire Regiment and particularly the men of the Hull Pals Battalions. This attack took place on 3 and 4 May 1917 and 40% of those present were killed or injured. One of those who died (and whose body was never found) was a fellow soldier in the 11th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment (who Leonard may have known and served with). His name was Second Lieutenant Jack Harrison, a local teacher and rugby player with Hull Football Club. He was posthumously awarded the Victory Cross for his bravery during the battle

The East Yorkshire Regiment saw action during 1917 on the Ancre, the Third Battle of the Scarpe (3 and 4 May 1917) and the capture of Oppy Wood (28 June 1917). Leonard would have seen action in each of these battles in 1917.

A City of Hull Memorial at Oppy was unveiled in 1927 which commemorates the men of the Hull Pals who were killed on 3 and 4 May 1917.

The website “Kingston Upon Hull War Memorial 1914-1918“, provides a comprehensive account of the impact of WW1 on Hull. According to this website, ‘Hull officially lost 7,000 men in WW1. Another 14,000 men were wounded including 7,000 who were maimed. The Hull casualty rate was officially 30% of those who served, that is 21,000 men killed or wounded, from a total of 70,000 men recruited. These were the figures reported by Hull Lord Mayor in 1919, after the war. When the foundation stone of the Hull Cenotaph was laid, on the 9th November 1923, the Lord Mayor declared that 12,000 people from Hull had died in the war. While this figure can not be verified, it suggests that perhaps, a third or 5,000, of the initial 14,000 wounded, may have already died prematurely, in the four years after the war. The number of Hull’s war wounded actually increased over time, as war wounds worsened and other war related wounds were reported. The Ministry of Pensions, for example, records 20,000 war wounded in Hull, in 1924.’

Leonard’s military service records are one of only about a third of WW1 records to serve. From this document we know that he “Qualified at Humber Garrison Range Finding School” which was at Fort Paull, Cleethorpes where it is known that another Hull Pals solider called George Roberts Freeman (1887 – 1917) was also based. Both men were killed in action on the same day, 23rd November 1917, and it is possible they served in the same unit.

Leonard, like George, is one of 916 Commonwealth casualties (32 of whom remain unidentified) buried in a Commonwealth War Grave at Roclincourt Military Cemetery, which was a front-line cemetery from 1917 until October 1918. In the words of the Kingston Upon Hull War Memorial website, “he was 21 years old, a Clerk, a Sergeant in His Majesty’s Forces, a little brother and a son”. His grave inscription, reads, “UNTIL THE DAY BREAK AND THE SHADOWS FLEE”.

Leonard is remembered on the Board of Trade War Memorial in London and on the Kingston Upon Hull War Memorial in Hull.

Name recorded on Board of Trade Memorial: C. W. T. Jeffries
Born: 14 November 1896 in Peckham, London
Date of Death: 13 November 1917
Age at death: 21
Service, Regiment, Corps, etc: Royal Engineers and formerly in Royal Field Artillery
Unit, Ship, etc: 33rd Signals Company/Signal Depot (Bedford)
Enlisted: Lambeth
Rank: Sapper (Service no: 253807) and previous Service No 14161
Decorations: WW1 Campaign medals (Victory Medal, British War Medal and 1914-15 Star)
War (and theatre): WW1
Manner of Death: Died on Active Service (DOAS)
Family Details: Son of Charles J and Harriet A M Jeffries, 13 Thurso Road, Tooting, London
Home Department: Board of Trade – Labour Department (Central Office)
Civilian Rank: 
Cemetery or Memorial: Wandsworth (Streatham) Cemetery (D.222) ; Board of Trade War Memorial (now located at 3 Whitehall Place, London); Memorial to Staff of the Ministry of Labour (located at Caxton House, Tothill Street, London); Streatham Cemetery, London

Biography:

Charles Thomas Walter Jeffries was born on 14 November 1896 in Peckham and baptised on 13 December 1986 at St Giles Church, Camberwell, London. He was the eldest son of a large family of modest means. His father was Charles John Jeffries (1871-1938), a fireman and railway porter and his mother was Harriet Anne Maud Byrch (1872-1961). He had  two older sisters – Margaret Jeffries and Beatrice Jeffries as well as three younger sisters – Doris Jeffries, Martha Jeffries and Winifred Jeffries – and five younger brothers – Edmund, Sydney, Thomas, Reginald and Horace.

The first record of young Charles’ life apart from his birth records are his baptism records. We also know from surviving school admission records that he was a pupil at Springfield School, Lambeth where he started on 18 June 1900. The school originally opened as Fountain Street School in 1886 but closed in the 1970s after being rebuilt at a low-rise pre-fabricated block in the 1950s.

In 1901 he was living with his parents and sisters at 37 Conroy Street, Lambeth. Ten years later in 1911 the family were living at 13 Thurso Street, Wandsworth. Charles is by then aged 14 and recorded as being at school.

At some point he joined the Board of Trade, presumably working as a Boy Clerk in the Labour Department (Central Office). This would have been a proud moment for the family and it might have been to make this occasion that his photo was taken, looking smart in a suit and tie.

Charles Thomas Walter Jeffries (Copyright: https://summerstown182.wordpress.com/)

The life of Charles Thomas Walter Jeffries is remembered in a blog “Crowded House” by local history group – Summertown 182 – who have researched all 182 local men who died in the Tooting and Wandsworth area of London. Thurso Street which only contained 25 households but disproportionately accounted for 9 those killed in the local area and named on the local war memorial.

During WW1, we know from his surviving WW1 medal card that Charles served initially as a Gunner (Service No 14161) in the Royal Field Artillery. He first landed in France on 12 December 1915. He subsequently transferred to the Royal Engineers and served as a Sapper (Service No 253807).

A Sapper was the equivalent of a private. The rank was first introduced into the army when the Corps of Royal Sappers and Miners was amalgamated with the officer Corps of Royal Engineers to form the Corps of Royal Engineers. His full military service record does not survive, given that over two thirds of WW1 service records were burnt during a WW2 bombing raid.

WW1 relied on engineers who were essential to providing long supply chains and communications equipment and responding to the challenges of chemical and underground warfare as well as the firepower of WW1 by maintaining guns and other weapons. As a sapper, he was part of work to undermine the German attacking positions by building tunnels and mines which were then filled with explosives and detonated. The work of sappers is told in books like “Charlotte Grey” by Sebastian Faulks.

At some point he became sick and died on 13 November 1917 in Dudley Road Military Hospital located in Birmingham which had became the 2/1st Southern General Hospital . Initially an annex of the main 1st Southern General Hospital (located at Birmingham University), the Dudley Road Hospital was established as a hospital in its own right. The first military casualties arrived at the hospital on 10th May 1917. He was one of 53,896 patients treated at the hospital after the war and one of 268 men who died there. You can read more about the hospital in a blog about Harold Hall who worked for the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) at Dudley Road. You can also learn more about Birmingham’s Military Hospitals on the website Voices of War and Peace.

After his death, his body was transferred to be buried in his local area at Streatham Cemetery. His funeral was held on 19th November 1917. He is buried in a public grave with 23 other people including two other young men from the same road – Thurso Street in Wandsworth.

Charles died on 13 November 1917 just one day before what would have been his 21st birthday. We continues to be remembered both now and into the future on two Civil Service War Memorials and at Streatham Cemetery as well as via online commemorative websites.

Kenneth Bevan Davis

• See Kenneth Bevan Davis’s entry on the Board of Trade’s Ancestry public tree.
• This information updates the group’s previous research published on the former DTI website (now archived by the National Archives).
• Do you have any more information about Kenneth Bevan Davis? If so the War Memorial Research Group would love to hear from you.

Name recorded on Board of Trade Memorial: K. B. Davis
Born: 7 June 1889, Islington
Date of Death: 13 November 1916
Age at death: 27
Service, Regiment, Corps, etc: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Unit, Ship, etc: Nelson Battalion, Royal Naval Division
Enlisted: 13 January 1913
Rank: Petty Officer (Service No: M3/203)
Decorations: 
War (and theatre): WW1(France/Flanders)
Manner of Death: Killed in action (KIA)
Family Details: Son of Arthur W and Matilda A Davis of 19 King George’s Avenue, Dovercourt, Essex
Residence: Haringey
Home Department: Board of Trade – Mercantile Marine Office, Liverpool
Civilian Rank: Deputy Superintendent
Cemetery or Memorial: Ancre British Cemetery, Somme (III.E.37) and the Board of Trade War Memorial (now located at 3 Whitehall Place)

Biography:

Kenneth Bevan Davis was born on 7 June 1889 in Islington. His parents were Arthur William Davis (1855-?) and Matilda Ann Yearsley (1855-1927). He had two older sisters – Kathleen Davis (1885-1912) and Bertha May Davis (1886-1971) and two younger brothers – Martin Davis (1893-1955) and Leslie Thomas Davis (1897-?). 

He grew up in Islington living in 1901 at 72 Warham Road, Hornsey. In 1911 whilst his parents and younger siblings were still living in the family home, Kenneth had moved to Tynemouth where he was renting and working for the Board of Trade’s Mercantile Marine Office as a Deputy Superintendent. 

RND Recruitment Poster

When Kenneth Davis enlisted in the Mersey Division of the RNVR at HMS Eagle in January 1913, he gave his profession as civil servant, Board of Trade, and his address as 6 Rivington Road, Egremont, Cheshire. He was 5 feet 8 and three-quarter inches tall and had dark hair and brown eyes. He enlisted with another Deputy Superintendent from the Mercantile Marine Office, George Richards, who also lived in Egremont. (Richards too was to join the Nelson Battalion of the Royal Naval Division (created after war broke out in August 1914) but our research has not yet turned up any information about the early service of either man. Richards died of wounds at Gallipoli in July 1915.)

The next entry after 1913 in Davis’ service record is his promotion to Acting Leading Seaman on 25 February 1915. In March 1916 he was at the 10th Division Base Depot in Egypt and in May he was transferred to the Nelson Battalion. On 16 May he embarked on the Ionian at Mudros, landing at Marseilles on 22 May. He was promoted to Acting Petty Officer on 2 June.

Davis was posted first as ‘wounded’ on 13 November, then ‘wounded and missing’ on 13 November, which was the day the British launched the Battle of the Ancre. This battle was the last of the big British attacks at the Battle of the Somme. 

The day began with a thick, freezing mist which provided cover but meant drastically reduced visibility and the division were beset with heavy casualties and devastation. 

3_valley_of_the_ancre_near_beaucourt

In this, the RN Division’s first offensive on the Western Front, major successes were achieved but at the cost of very heavy casualties. The role of the Royal Naval Division is explained in a blog “Sailors who fought in the final days of the Somme“. Another moving description of the Royal Naval Division’s role in the fighting is published on a blog post about “Rupert Brooke’s Royal Naval Division friends on the Somme, 1916“. For more information about the Battle of the Ancre and the part played by the Nelson Battalion see, for example, The Royal Naval Division, Douglas Jerrold, (1923, reprinted by Naval & Military Press 2001) and Beaumont Hamel, Newfound Park, Nigel Cave (Leo Cooper, 1994). 

Kenneth Bevan Davis was one of over 30 Nelson Battalion men who died with a further 200 wounded and 100 missing or unaccounted for. 

It appears that Davis’ body was subsequently recovered and identified, as he is on a burial list dated 28 January 1917 and has a grave in the Commonwealth War Grave Commision’s Ancre British Cemetery.  (Source: service record held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum)

Kenneth Bevan Davis is one of 2,540 Commonwealth casualties from WW1 buried or commemorated in the cemetery.  Of these 1,335 men are unidentified. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield. The Royal Naval Division Memorial for the capture of Beaumont-Hamel is marked by  stone obelisk located beside the main road from Arras to Albert at Beaucourt-sur-Ancre. 

Kenneth died aged just 27 years old. His grave bears the personal inscription “Faithful Unto Death”. 

Today, 11 November 2020 on the anniversary of Armistice Day the two minute silence was marked by Department for International Trade staff as well as Liz Truss (Secretary of State for International Trade), Greg Hands (Minister of State for Trade) and Antonia Romeo (DIT Permanent Secretary) in a socially distanced and simple wreath laying.

The War Memorial Research Group will continue to tell the individual stories of the Board of Trade men. Find out more in “We are the storytellers of the tribe“.

Although these are strange times due to Covid19, as the Department for Digital, Media, Culture and Sport make clear, there are lots of ways you can mark Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day safely, at home and online. Read the Remembrance Sunday & Armistice Day 2020 blog for some ideas and inspiration. Some suggested ways to remember are to :

  • Research your own family history using the resources on websites like Ancestry or Findmypast.
  • Share your stories, family histories and messages of remembrance on social media by using the hashtag #WeWillRememberThem.
  • Make your own poppy or Remembrance window display, write a poem or paint a poppy on a stone to lay by a local war memorial.
Poppy cupcakes made to raise money for the Royal British Legion by Lizzie’s World of Cakes
Leighton Buzzard War Memorial in my local town – one of 132 newly listed war memorials
  • Join the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) in looking up to the stars at 7pm on Wednesday 11 November to remember those who died during the two World Wars. Head to CWGC’s website to name a star after your Commonwealth descendant and help their names #ShineOn

War Memorial Research Group
11 November 2020

With thanks to Jason Pawlin who works for the Insolvency Service, for his great blog in conjunction with Armistice Day 2020 about the former employees of the Board of Trade who previously worked for the Bankruptcy Department (a predecessor department to the Insolvency Service).

The War Memorial Research Group continues to tell each man’s story including those who worked for the Bankruptcy Department. For instance you can read more on this blog about Bertram Affleck‘s lifestory and indeed all 305 Board of Trade men – see the full list of WW1 men.

Together we continue to remember and bring the stories of all former Board of Trade colleagues to life. Over one hundred years on, their stories are still remarkable and individual and we remember them all, so that such a terrible war never happens again.

If you want to research your own family history and connections you can do so by making use of great genealogical resources provided by Ancestry, Findmypast, Commonwealth War Graves Commission and other sources. For more information find out how to trace your WW1 family history.

As part of the 2020 Remembrance and Armistice Day commemorations, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission invites you to #Shinealight to pay tribute to the 1.7 million Commonwealth war dead, through a unique act of remembrance.

Name recorded on Board of Trade Memorial: C. E. Penfold
Born: July 1876 in Adisham, Kent
Date of Death: 9 November 1915
Age at death: 39
Service, Regiment, Corps, etc: East Kent Regiment (the Buffs)
Unit, Ship, etc: 6th (or 2nd) Battalion
Enlisted: Ramsgate
Rank: Private (Service no: G/5489)
Decorations: WW1 Campaign medals (Victory Medal and British War Medal)
War (and theatre): WW1 (France and Flanders)
Manner of Death: Killed in action (KIA)
Family Details: Son of Edward and Caroline Penfold of Blooden Cottage, Adisham and wife of Amelia Britton (formerly Penfold) of 2 Terrace Cottages, Irchester Street, Ramsgate
Home Department: Board of Trade – Ramsgate Harbour
Civilian Rank: Labourer
Cemetery or Memorial: Loos Memorial (Panels 15-19) ; Board of Trade War Memorial (now located at 3 Whitehall Place, London); Adisham War Memorial, Kent

Biography:

Charles Edward Penfold was born in around June or July 1876 and baptised on 6 August 1876 in Adisham, Kent. His parents were Charles Penfold (1844-1931) and Caroline Penfold (nee Files) (1851 – 1930). His father was an agricultural labourer. Charles was the eldest son from his father’s second marriage. His younger siblings were Fanny Elizabeth Penfold (1877-1884), John Penfold (1879-1960), Thomas Frederick Penfold (1883-1950), Emily Hilda Penfold (1885-?), Ethel F Penfold (1888-1934) and Kate Lilian Penfold (1894-1972). He also had one older half-sibling, Jane Penfold (1867-1951) from his father’s first marriage to Ann Penfold (nee Birch) (1849-1871).

In the 1901 census, Charles is recorded as an ordinary seaman serving amongst the crew members on the ship “William Cundall”.

In April 1909, Charles married an Amelia Howes (1889-1974) and their son Charles William George Penfold was born a year later on 16 May 1910.

On the 1911 census, Charles and Amelia and their son are recorded living at 1 Alfred Cottages in Ramsgate. Charles also worked in the town as pier labourer working for the Board of Trade at Ramsgate Harbour.

Charles’ full war service record does not survive, but we know from his surviving WW1 medal roll card that he enlisted in the East Kent Regiment known as the Buffs (Service No: G5489).

The Buffs regiment has a proud military history as an infantry regiment dating back to the 1500s. It officially gained the name ‘The Buffs’ in 1744 which was derived from the name to distinguish between two’s regiments of foot both commanded by Lieutenant-General Thomas Howard. One regiment was referred to as the Green Howards and the other as Howard’s Buffs (known as The Buffs). The regiment’s name has entered language in the phrase “Steady, the Buffs!” which means “Keep calm!” or “Steady on, boys!”.

East Kent Regiment (The Buffs)

During WW1, the regiment raised 14 Battalions and was awarded 48 battle honours including 1 Victoria Cross. 6000 men from The Buffs regiment died during WW1.

Charles’s medal card indicates that he first arrived in France on 12 May 1915. At some point during fighting soon after in May, Charles was “wounded in the finger and leg while serving with the 2nd Buffs in May”.

He returned to the front with a draft of 6th (Service) Buffs on October 26th and sadly died around only a fortnight later on 9 November 1915. It is likely that Charles would therefore have seen action in the Third Battle of Artois, a Franco-British offensive which lasted from 25 September to 4 November 1915.

His death was reported in “The Thanet Advertiser” on 27 November 1915, which recalled his return to the front:

“His death, wrote Pte. A. Appleton, was instantaneous and he was laid to rest in a secluded spot. All his comrades expressed deepest sympathy with the relatives”.

Charles’s name is remembered on the Commonwealth War Graves Loos Memorial which commemorates 20,605 British officers and me who were killed from 25 September 1915 to the end of the war in November 1918 in the area of battle between the river Lys in Flanders (France) and the village of Grenay, near Lens, in Artois. Charles’s name is amongst the thousands with no known grave who are inscribed on 139 stone panels.

Charles is also remembered on the Board of Trade War Memorial in London and on the local Adisham War Memorial in Kent.

Adisham War Memorial, Kent

Charles was 39 years old when he died. His death all the more tragic due to the short time of less than a month that he served in France both in May and then when he returned to the front in October 1915.

In memory of Charles Edward Penfold we remember the words of the famous war poet, Julian Grenfell (1888-1915) whose name is recorded in Westminster Abbey and who also died in 1915 (at Ypres) during WW1.

“IN BATTLE”

The naked earth is warm with Spring,
And with green grass and bursting trees
Leans to the sun’s gaze glorying,
And quivers in the sunny breeze;
And life is Colour and Warmth and Light,
And a striving evermore for these;
And he is dead who will not fight,
And who dies fighting has increase.

The fighting man shall from the sun
Take warmth, and life from glowing earth;
Speed with the light-foot winds to run
And with the trees to newer birth;
And find, when fighting shall be done,
Great rest, and fulness after dearth.

All the bright company of Heaven
Hold him in their bright comradeship,
The Dog star, and the Sisters Seven,
Orion’s belt and sworded hip:

The woodland trees that stand together,
They stand to him each one a friend;
They gently speak in the windy weather;
They guide to valley and ridges end.

The kestrel hovering by day,
And the little owls that call by night,
Bid him be swift and keen as they,
As keen of ear, as swift of sight.

The blackbird sings to him: “Brother, brother,
If this be the last song you shall sing,
Sing well, for you may not sing another;
Brother, sing.”

In dreary doubtful waiting hours,
Before the brazen frenzy starts,
The horses show him nobler powers; —
O patient eyes, courageous hearts!

And when the burning moment breaks,
And all things else are out of mind,
And only joy of battle takes
Him by the throat and makes him blind,
Through joy and blindness he shall know,
Not caring much to know, that still
Nor lead nor steel shall reach him, so
That it be not the Destined Will.

The thundering line of battle stands,
And in the air Death moans and sings;
But Day shall clasp him with strong hands,
And Night shall fold him in soft wings.

Thomas Border

Name recorded on Board of Trade Memorial: T. Border
Born: About April 1890 in Larbet, Stirling, Scotland
Date of Death: 1 October 1918
Age at death: 28
Service, Regiment, Corps, etc: Royal Garrison Artillery
Unit, Ship, etc: 140th Siege Battery
Enlisted: Dunfermline
Rank: Gunner (Service no: 145496)
Decorations: WW1 Campaign medals (Victory Medal and British War Medal)
War (and theatre): WW1 (France and Flanders)
Manner of Death: Killed in action (KIA)
Family Details: Son of John and Mary Border of 15 David’s Loan, Falkirk, Scotland
Home Department: Board of Trade – Labour Department (Scotland Division)
Civilian Rank: Male Clerk
Cemetery or Memorial: Haynecourt British Cemetery (I.C.15) ; Board of Trade War Memorial (now located at 3 Whitehall Place, London); Memorial to Staff of the Ministry of Labour (located at Caxton House, Tothill Street, London);

Biography:

Thomas Border was born in around 1891 in Larbet, Stirlingshire in Scotland. Larbet is a small town in the River Forth valley wich lies 3 miles from the Firth of Forth shore and 2.5 miles northwest of the main local town of Falkirk.

His parents were John Border (1866-1941) and Mary Harley Border nee Stewart (1854-1901). He had an older sister Jeanie Border (born in about 1888) who sadly died aged about 13 years old in 1901. In the same year Thomas (aged 9) is recorded as living at 15 David’s Loan, Falkirk with his parents John and Mary. His father’s occupation is listed as being a “hammerman” which means he was a metalworker (such as a blacksmith, tinsmith, cutler, locksmith or pewterer). Thomas is listed as a scholar.

We know from a record in The Edinburgh Gazette dated 6 October 1916 and from a parallel announcement in The London Gazette dated 3 October 1916, that Thomas was appointed as a Male Clerk to the Board of Trade, hence his connection to the department. Its possible he also served in other roles prior to this appointment but that would require further local research.

Thomas’ British Army WW1 Service Record is one of only a third of such records to survive. We know from these papers that he attested on the 8 December 1915 (just prior to confirmation of his appointment to the Board of Trade). In his attestation papers, Thomas confirms his age as 25 years 7 month, that he is single and and his occupation as a Civil Service Clerk. Although a photo of Thomas does not survive we know he was 5 ft 6 3/4 inches tall with a chest girth of 33 inches.

Thomas enlisted as a Gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA). This was was originally formed in 1899 as one of three separate parts of the Royal Artillery (the other parts being the Royal Field Artillery and the Royal Horse Artillery). The RGA handled the large weapons such as 60 pound heavy field guns or large howitzers. According to Dennis Corbett in “Searching for your Gunner Ancestor“, these types of weapons were often so large they could only be deployed on railway tracks. Others were hauled by motor tractors. The RGA was stopped being a separate unit in 1924 and was re-amalgamated into the Royal Artillery.

Thomas’s service record reveals further specific information so we know that he was initially in the ‘army reserve’ between December 1915 and March 1917. He was mobilized on 21 March 1917 initially serving at home within the UK until 31 March 1918.  According to the Long Long Trail website “there were three roles for ‘home-based units’ of the Royal Regiment of Artillery – as depot or training units, for providing mobile artillery forces for use in the event of an enemy attack or for providing static artillery forces to defend key ports and coastal installation”. Whilst serving within the UK, Thomas served at the No 3 Depot, Hilsea Barracks on Portsea Island, near Portsmouth. He was posted to Hilsea on 21 March 1917. He was subsequently posted to the 410th Siege Battery on 9 April 1917, then as camp staff at Hilsea on 10 August 1917, to the 502nd Siege Battery on 13 March 1918 and ultimately to the 140th Siege Battery on 1 April 1918.

Siege Batteries were equipped with heavy howitzers which used large calibre high explosive shells.

He was sent to France on 1 April 1918. Towards the end of the ward, the 140th Siege Battery were part of the First Army and equipped with heavy howitzers. We unfortunately don’t know the precise location of where the 140th Siege Battery was fighting on the 1 October 1918, but given where he is buried, it is likely he was killed in action near to Cambrai in northern France. Based on this information we can be pretty sure that Thomas died fighting during either the Battle of the Canal du Nord which took place from 27 September until 1 October 1918 (involving British and Canadian forces) or alternatively at the Battle of St Quentin Canal which took place from 29 September 1918 and involved British, Australian and American forces.

Both were pivotal battles which as the Encylopedia Britannica explains were part of a series of connected battles beginning with the Battle of Amiens in August 1918 the encompassed the 100 days offensive up until Armistice Day which marked the end of fighting on the Western Front. The “hundred days” campaign saw a massive Allied offensive, following a long stalemate and the launching of multiple attacks on German strongholds in northern France, including on Cambrai which was an important railway and supply hub for the German army. The battles resulted in a break in the German’s defences of the Hindenberg Line and paved the way of the Second Battle of Cambrai (8 to 10 October 1918) which saw the Allies begin advancing beyond the German’s Hindenberg Line.

Despite ultimate success, the 100 Days offensive campaign came at a huge cost in lives. Between August and November 1918, there ware 700,00 Allied casualties and 760,000 German casualties.

Thomas Border is buried at the Commonwealth War Grave Cemetery – Haynecourt British Cemetery which is located just north-west of Cambrai. The cemetery was started immediately after the first Canadian and 11th Division took Haynecourt a few days before on 27 September 1918.

Thomas Border is buried in grave 1:C:16 at Haynecourt. The adjoining grave is of another fellow gunner, Lancelot James Langley (1882-1918) from Moulton near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk, England. He died on the 30 September 1918. A blog in memory of Lancelot recalls his death. Another two men who served in the same 140th Siege Battery unit of the Royal Garrison Artillery are also buried at Haynecourt – they are Second Lieutenant Gerald Morton Dunn (died aged 33 years old on 13 October 1918) (grave II.I.C.10) and Second Lieutenant Edward Thomas Davies (died aged 29 years old also on 13 October 1918) (grave III.C.9).

In total at Haynecourt British Cemetery there are 289 WW1 burials (including eight unidentified men) consisting mainly of both British and Canadian men.

Thomas is also remembered on two Civil Service War Memorials in London – the Board of Trade War Memorial and the Memorial to staff of the Ministry of Labour. He is also remembered by the Falkirk Memorial in Scotland.

In memory of Thomas and all the men of the RGA we remember the unit’s motto “Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt” (Wherever right and glory leads). Thomas’s family line has now sadly died out and he had no surviving relatives – however he is not forgotten and we thank him for his sacrifice.


Name recorded on Board of Trade Memorial: A. J. G. Rose
Born: 17 August 1893 at 43 Avondale Road, Denmark Hill, Camberwell, London
Date of Death: 26 September 1917
Age at death: 24
Service, Regiment, Corps, etc: London Regiment
Unit, Ship, etc: 12th Battalion (The Rangers)
Enlisted: 11 December 1916
Rank: Second Lieutenant (Service no. 3556)
Decorations: British Service Medals (British War Medal and Victory Medal)
War (and theatre): WW1 (France and Flanders)
Manner of Death: Killed in Action (KIA)
Family Details: Son of Frederick Rose and Elizabeth Jane Rose (nee Lingard)
Residence:
Home Department: Board of Trade – Labour Department (London and South East Division)
Civilian Rank:
Cemetery or Memorial: Tyne Cot Memorial (Panel 151-152, 163A); Board of Trade War Memorial (now located at 3 Whitehall Place, London); Memorial to the Staff of the Ministry of Labour located at Caxton House, Tothill Street, London; Woodham War Memorial

Biography:

From the baptism records of St Saviour’s Church in Denmark Hill, Camberwell, London we know that Archibald was born on 17 August 1893 to Frederick Rose and his wife Elizabeth Jane (nee Lingard). His father was a shipping clerk. He had an older brother Cecil Lingard Rose (1885-1950) and two sisters – Phyllis Mary Rose (1891-1978) and Hilda Mary Rose (1896-1972).

In the 1901 census, Archibald (aged 7) is living with parents and siblings at 8 Endwell Road, Deptford. In the 1911 census the family are living at 141 Drakefell Road, Brockley, London and Archibald is age 17 and working as a civil service clerk.

Thanks to Archibald’s medal index card, we know that he was not awarded the 1914-15 Star meaning that he didn’t serve in the early part of WW1. We don’t know exactly when Archibald enlisted, but from his Service Number (3556) we can deduce that he voluntarily enlisted at some point between 1st March and 6th April 1915 (according to the Army Service Numbers 1881-1918 website). According to The Long, Long Trail website we know that during Spring 1915 (after a massive recruitment drive by Lord Kitchener in 1914) voluntary enlistment averaged around 100,000 men choosing to join the British armed forces each month. However, this massive need for manpower was not enough to sustain the demands of the war and this led the Government to passing the National Registration Act on 15 July 1915 to encourage further recruitment and the introduction of the Group System (Derby Scheme) from 11 October 1915 to encourage a wider list of men to voluntarily attest.  This system was not a total success and so on 27 January 1916, the Government introduced conscription for the first time under the Military Service Act. This applied to every British man (unless he met certain exemptions) who “on 15 August 1914 was ordinarily resident in Great Britain and who had attained the age of 18 but was not yet 41 by 2 March 1916 and who on 2 November 1915 was unmarried or a widower without dependent children”.

Men of 12th Battalion (The Rangers) in which Archibald Rose served as Second Lieutenant (Source: Dan Hill - @danhillhistory) Maybe he knew some of these men?

Men of 12th Battalion (The Rangers) in which Archibald Rose served as Second Lieutenant (Source: Dan Hill – @danhillhistory) Maybe he knew some of these men?

We also know from Archibald’s medal card that he first arrived in France on 21 April 1916 as part of the 168th Brigade of the 56th (London Division). 

12th Battalion (The Rangers), London Regiment

12th Battalion (The Rangers), London Regiment badge

Archibald served as a Second Lieutenant in the 12th (The Rangers) Battalion, London Regiment. This was a territorial force unit which was originally formed in 1860. From the time he arrived in France, we know that he would have served with the battalion at the Battle of the Somme. On the first day of the battle, The Rangers were part of a divisionary attack at Gommecourt. He would also have fought at the Battle of Ginchy, the Battle of Flers-Courcelette, the Battle of Morval and the Battle of the Transloy Ridges in 1916. The following year, the Battalion fought at the Battle of Arras in April 1917 and then the Battle of Langemarck in August 1917.

The battlefield at Polygon Wood painted by George Edmund Butler (1918)

The battlefield at Polygon Wood painted by George Edmund Butler (1918) – Source: http://warart.archives.govt.nz/node/111

Archibald was killed in action and died aged 24 on 26 September 1917. This date was the first day of the the Battle of Polygon Wood which place during the Third Battle of Ypres (Passchendale) near to Ypres in Belgium from 26 September to 3 October 1917. Polygon Wood is a forest between Ypres and Zonnebeke in Belgium and was the location of several battles, with the Germans and the Allies at different times both holding the area. In the battle in September 1917, seven British divisions (including the men serving in “The Rangers” were supported by two Australian divisions. The objective of the battle was to advance between 910 and 1370 metres to slopes that were easier to defend and enabling the combined armies to attack the German 4th army.

The British suffered 15,375 casualties including 1,215 killed (amongst them Achibald Rose. In total 34,645 soliders died including men from the Australian armed forces.

The Youtube video by TheAceDestroyer link gives an overview of the Battle of Polygon Wood from the perspective of the Australian units who fought alongside the British:

Archibald’s body was not recovered so he has no known grave. His name is however recorded on four war memorials – the Tyne Cot Memorial located in France (which names almost 35,000 men), the Board of Trade War Memorial, the Memorial to the Staff of the Ministry of Labour and also at the local war memorial in Woodham near Woking, Surrey which is located outside All Saints Church, Woodham, as well as on a wooden memorial panel inside the church. 

The 12th Battalion County of London Regiment (The Rangers) war memorial is commemorated on a tall cenotaph located at Chenies Street in Camden, London. This was close to the former 1882 Drill Hall from which the Battalion departed in 1914.

Rangers_memorial,_North_Crescent,_Chenies_Street

The Rangers war memorial located in Chenies Street, London

In memory of Archibald Rose, we remember the words of a poem “The Day they went to war” written by Imogen Filer-Larwood, a pupil on a school battlefield tour from Holsworthy Community College, Devon which was left on a grave in Tyne Cot cemetery where Archibald is remembered:

“The soliders marched anxiously through the streets.
With smiles on their faces,
Pride in their stride.
They look over their shoulders with so much composure,
As their families cried and waved.
They had in their hands the countries flag.
Our future on their shoulders.

As the reality of war began to unravel
More soldiers began to travel
to help their partners in war.
Alliance against enemy,
Man against man
This was the time war really began

Millions have gone and our lives carry on
There is no cost that we could pay
To have our soldiers back here today
They fell at the sound of gunfire
As they took their last breaths
As they fall to their inevitable deaths
They couldn’t see their children grow
Now they lay down below
under flanders fields.
Where poppys grow row by row.
We can’t thank them for what they’ve done.

We never will because they’ve gone.

Besides the carnage of the first day of the Battle of the Somme on 1 July 1916 when 19,240 men died on the deadliest day in British military history (including 11 Board of Trade employees) there is one other particularly destructive day when a significant number of Board of Trade men were killed in action – that day was 15 September 1916. The ten men who died that day were as follows:

Serving in the London Regiment, 15th Battalion (Civil Service Rifles):

Serving in other regiments:

15 September 1916 marks that start one of the major set piece battles of the 1916 Somme offensive by the British – the Battle of Flers-Courcelette. The battle is remembered in particular for the tanks  – the Mark I tank – that were used on the battlefield for the first time.

CivilServiceRifles-JillKnight

“All Bloody Gentlemen” by Jill Knight

The battle also saw a massive offensive on High Wood, a small patch of woodland in the Somme region of France, where there had been ongoing fighting since the summer.

Unfortunately, the day marked tragedy for the Civil Service Rifles battalion who were at the heart of the battle for High Wood.

Supported by tanks, the infantry were to attack the German lines without the benefit of a preliminary artillery bombardment, but the Civil Service Rifles found that their tanks were held up and arrived after the attack started. They and their London Division comrades were held up in no-man’s land, suffering casualties all the time, until additional bombardments cleared the German defences and the Londoners broke through to take High Wood – an objective that the British had been trying to take since July. The Battalion, and the Division, suffered an enormous number of casualties in the attack. By the time they withdrew from the front line on 20 September the Battalion had lost 15 officers and 365 other ranks.

To give a sense of the destructiveness of the fighting at High Wood, it is estimated that most of the bodies of the men who died there were never recovered.

The following section is transcribed directly from the War Diaries of the Civil Service Rifles of 15 and 16 September 1916:

High Wood 15.9.16: Battalion took part in HIGH WOOD in general attack by lV army. 17th London Battalion attacked on left in HIGH WOOD, 7th London Battalion on right outside wood. ZERO 5.50 a.m. ‘A’ Company on right immediately successful and pushed through the Support line. ‘B’, ‘C’ and ‘D’ Companies were cut up by machine gun fire and were unsuccessful. 7th Battalion on right entirely unsuccessful on account of machine gun fire.
11.00 a.m. Enemy front line bombarded by Stokes Mortars. As a result of this and progress of Divisions on right and left, enemy surrendered and by 12 noon we were in possession of whole of HIGH WOOD and SWITCH LINE. Rest of day spent in consolidating new position in front of SWITCH LINE and in joining up with 17th Battalion on left and 7th Battalion on right. Meanwhile 6th London Regt. pushed through 7th on right and occupied E. half of STARFISH and COUGH DROP.
6.00 p.m: 21st London Regt attacked from HIGH WOOD on west half of STARFISH and COUGH DROP. Practically annihilated by Artillery and Machine Gun fire. Casualties – Officers: Killed Capt. Roberts, Capt. Gaze, Capt.Davies, 2nd Lt. Hoole. Missing:- 2nd Lt. Fletcher. Wounded:- 2nd Lt Fallon, 2nd Lt Town, send, 2nd Lt Thomas, 2nd Lt Richardson, 2nd Lt Ray, 2nd Lt Roberts, 2nd Lt Houslop, 2nd
Lt Barnes, 2nd Lt Burtt. O.R’s (other ranks) – about 250 killed, wounded and missing.
16.9.16: Morning quiet. Consolidation proceeded.
9.00 a.m. 23rd London Regt. Attacked from HIGH WOOD on West portion of STARFISH and COUGH DROP. Practically annihilated by shell and machine gun fire. Day quiet apart from intermittent shelling of HIGH WOOD and SWITCH LINE by heavy Howitzers.
9.00 p.m. Battalion moved up to take over DROP ALLEY, leading from COUGH DROP to FLERS LINE, on information that FLERS LINE EAST of DROP ALLEY was held by 6th London Regiment. On arrival, found that the 6th Battalion were not occupying FLERS LINE, but were in COUGH DROP. Battalion accordingly occupied WESTERN half of COUGH DROP and threw back defensive flank towards STARFISH LINE and PRUE TRENCH. Night quiet. Consolidation of COUGH DROP proceeded.”

This short 26 minute video (from the CEFRG or Canadian Expeditionary Force Research Group)  portrays in pictures and words the experiences of the Canadian Corps, commanded by Sir Julian Byng, who contributed two infantry divisions to the fighting at Flers-Courcelette.  

If you want to find out more about the Battle of Flers-Courcelette, you can read more in books like “The History of the Prince of Wales’ Own Civil Service Rifles” (1921), “The History of the 47th (London) Division 1914-1919 by Alan Maude (published 1922, reprinted Naval and Military Press, 2000), and “The hell they called High Wood” by Terry Norman (Kimber, 1984) and also “Civil Service Rifles in the Great War: ‘All Bloody Gentlemen'” by Jill Knight . Other great online sources about the battle are published on on The History Press website, the Long Long Trial website and many more sources.

Today of all days it is worth remembering the sacrifice of civil servants – and those from other walks of life – who have served and died for our country over more than 100 years during WW1 and beyond. 

Name recorded on Board of Trade Memorial: W. M. G. Calder
Born: 17 October 1874
Date of Death: 15 September 1916
Age at death: 41
Service, Regiment, Corps, etc: Hampshire Regiment
Unit, Ship, etc: 13th Battalion (attached to 15th Battalion)
Enlisted:
Rank: Second Lieutenant (Service No. )
Decorations: WW1 Campaign Medals – Victory Medal, British War Medal
War (and theatre): WW1 (France and Flanders)
Manner of Death: Killed in action
Family Details: Son of William Menzies Grant Calder (deceased) and Julia Grant Calder and husband of Matilda Sophia Calder (nee Beech)
Residence: Croydon
Home Department: Board of Trade – Labour Department (South Western Division)
Civilian Rank: 
Cemetery or Memorial: Thiepval Memorial (Pier and Face 7C and 7B); St John’s Church War Memorial, East Cowes, Isle of Wight; Memorial to the Staff of the Ministry of Labour, now hanging in Caxton House, Tothill Street, London SW1; and the Board of Trade War Memorial (now located at 3 Whitehall Place, London);

Biography:

William Menzies Grant Calder

William Menzies Grant Calder

When I first started research William M G Calder, he was one of the men for whom we had the least amount of prior research, with no record of his family background, date of birth or where he was living in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. However, gradually his story has revealed itself in all its colourfulness.

In many ways he symbolises why the work of the War Memorial Research Group is still important – to uncover each Board of Trade man’s unique history and show that each individual is truly “More than just a name” (the title of our Department for International Trade WW1 exhibition held in November 2018).

We now know that William Menzies Grant Calder was born on 17 October 1874 in Aberlour, Banff, Scotland. He was the youngest of two children born to Julia Matilda Calder (nee Grant) (1844- 1936) and William Menzies Calder (1828 – 1878). His father was a Surgeon Major in what was called the Army Medical Department (later known as the Royal Army Medical Corps). This rank is one of the top three most senior officers in the specialist army medical corps, so William came from a well regarded family background with military pedigree.

His father’s original Crimean War diaries dating back to 1 July 1855 to 15 March 1856 have survived and are preserved at the Wellcome Library in their collection of Royal Army Medical Corps archival papers. The diaries notably include a description of the Jamaican nurse Mary Seacole (1805 – 1881). On 24 August 1855, William Menzies Calder, who at the time was an assistant staff surgeon with the 49th regiment, wrote of Mary Seacole in the following terms:

‘Her fame as a doctress for cholera and diarrhoea are spread all over the camp. Her powders for diarrhoea and cholera seem to have worked miracles, she used them with great benefit in Panama. They certainly cannot be less efficacious than all our drugs etc. for cholera, from all the varieties of which I have yet seen little benefit here.’

The young William was only 3 years old when his father died on 30 June 1878 at 8 Trinity Terrace, Aldershot, Farnham. As a result, we find William recorded in the 1881 census aged 8 alongside his young widowed mother Julia (aged just 36) and his sister, Julia Marjorie Grant Calder who had born in India in 1872.  The family are living with a domestic servant and a cook in Church Street, Aldershot.

Wellington College

Wellington College

Unfortunately, its not possible to find William or his family in either the 1891 or 1901 censuses. However, fortunately, further records indicate that he attended Wellington College between 1887 and 1893. Wellington College, located in Crowthorne, Berkshire, is one of the UK’s leading prestigious public schools which was originally built as a national memorial to the first Duke of Wellington (1769 – 1852) and was founded by Queen Victoria  in 1856 and inaugurated when the school officially opened on 29 January 1859.

We know from the school records and the school’s WW1 memorial website that William was a pupil in Murray House. According to the school archivist, given that William was the son of a deceased Army officer, it is almost certain that he joined Wellington as a “Foundationer” meaning that he came on a bursary with the family paying a minimal fee and the balance being subsidised by the Foundation which had established the College. He was one of a large number of students funded in this way at this time. Indeed, originally the College was set up to educate the sons of deceased officers who had held commissions in the Army.

W M G Calder at Wellington College in 1890

W M G Calder at Wellington College in 1890 (Source: Wellington College Archives)

Thanks to the school archives and copies of the old school ‘Wellingtonian’ magazine, we get some sense of the character and personality of William, who was clearly a talented all round individual. For instance we know that William won a prize for Botany in 1891, and the Chemistry Prize in 1892 and 1893. He also spoke several times in the Debating Society in 1892-3. At a time when pupils could choose to specialise in the Classical or the Mathematical Side, William was in the Mathematical Side and in VI Form did a special class on Quantitative Analysis. We also know that he was a Prefect, so had the makings of an officer in the army.

Glen Grant Whisky

Glen Grant Whisky

Although none of will ever be able to meet William in person, we can still glean further insight into his life thanks to newspaper reports dating back to the early 1900s. From these papers, we know that William featured at the centre of a major and sensational divorce case pursued over several years by his uncle, Major James Grant (1847 – 1931), a successful Scottish whiskey magnet and businessman who took over the running of the family whiskey business “Glen Grant“.

In 1900, William (aged 26) ran off with his uncle’s second wife, Fanny (who had previously been governess to Major Grant’s family). The Major managed to track William (known as Bunny to his friends) and Fanny to the south of England and instigated divorce court proceedings in 1902. In the case, numerous witnesses were called on both sides including domestic servants who were called to give evidence in court to confirm that William and Fanny had been ‘living in sin’ and to confirm intimate details of ‘indecent familiarities’. Ultimately the court found in favour of Mrs Grant and William and they were awarded costs. Major James Grant then tried to pursue an appeal at the Court of Sessions in 1904 and then to the House of Lords in 1905. Finally in 1908, he successfully petitioned for divorce on the grounds of her adultery with a man named Smith and shortly after he remarried a local girl named Mary (who in the original case his wife had accused him of committing adultery with).

William next appears in the records in October 1909 when he marries (aged 34) a lady called Matilda Sophia Beach (1884 – 1944). The marriage is quickly followed by the birth of a little baby girl, Catherine Menzies Calder (1910 – 1984) who is born on 17 February 1910 in Croydon. We can subsequently trace William and his young family in the 1911 census who are recorded living at 80a Arundel Road, Croydon, Surrey. William is listed as a journalist at this time.

William’s life seems settled and happy, however we also know that in 1914, his wife gave birth to a young girl who tragically died aged just a day old in September 1914. His unnamed baby daughter is buried in Northwood Cemetary on the Isle of Wight.

Maybe faced with this family sadness, William threw himself into his work? We won’t know for sure.

William’s connection with the Board of Trade relates to his employment with the Ministry of Labour which dates from 6 April 1915 (according to the London Gazette who list him as ‘Manager in the Labour Exchanges and Unemployment Insurance
Branch’).

We also don’t know exactly when William enlisted to serve in WW1, but we do know that he joined the Hampshire Regiment (having previously served in the Boer War in South Africa in the 1890s). He initially joined the 13th (Reserve) Battalion but was subsequently assigned to the 15th (Service) Battalion (2nd Portsmouth). According to The Long Long Tail website this battalion was formed in Portsmouth on 5 April 1915 and adopted by the War Office on 30 May 1915. In October 1915 the battalion moved to Aldershot before moving to Marlborough Lines in February 1916 and landing in France in May 1916. We know that William was commissioned as an officer on 13 July 1915 and was sent over to France to join the Battalion on 22 July 1916.

His name appears again in another military record on 4 August 1916, when it is mentioned that “one Second-Lieutenant William Menzies Grant Calder, 15th Hampshire’s, returned to the British lines after wandering behind the enemy line for 22 hours”. (Source: Brigade War Diary T.N.A. WO95/2632/2/1).

Sadly, we know that William was killed in action (aged 41) on 15 September 1916 during the Battle of Flers-Courcelette (during the Battle of the Somme). William was one of ten former Board of Trade men who died on that fateful day as detailed in “Remembering the Battle of Flers-Courcelette, tanks and the ‘Hell of High Wood’ (September 1916)

Thiepval Memorial

Thiepval Memorial

He is named in the Hampshire Regiment (41st Division) War Diary as serving with “great gallantry and determination”. His body was not recovered for burial and so he is named on the Thiepval Memorial (Pier and Face 7C and 7B) to the missing along with thousands of other men.

StJohnsChurchEastCowesIsleofWight

St John’s Church War Memorial, East Cowes, Isle of Wight

He is also named on the St John’s Church War Memorial in East Cowes, Isle of Wight where his wife and daughter were living after WW1. He is also named on two UK Civil Service War Memorials – the Board of Trade War Memorial now located at 3 Whitehall Place and the War Memorial now located in the Department for Work and Pensions, 3 Tothill Place. He is also remembered by his old school, Wellington College who continue to remember those who died in WW1. For instance in 2012, Wellington College students re-enacted the horror of the Somme in by laying on the ground in memory of former pupils who died in WW1.

article-2230352-15eafdab000005dc-234_634x425

Image of 707 Wellington College pupils laying on the ground to mark the same number of former pupils who gave their lives in WW1 (Photo Source: Daily Mail – 2012)

William was one of 707 former Wellington College pupils to die in WW1. He truly lived up to the school’s mottos of “Virtutis Fortuna Comes” (‘Fortune favours the bold’) and “Heroum Filii” (‘The Children of Heroes’). His lifestory shows how we should never take the names of those who died in either WW1 or any other conflict, whether British or other sides, for granted. William lived a full life marked by joy and tragedy and we remember and thank him.